With ever increasing energy bills and colder winters on the way due to climate change, fuel poverty is becoming a serious issue in the UK.
So how can you save money while keeping your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter?
Here are some facts to put the issue in perspective and help you make your home more energy efficient.
Loft insulation in numbers
- According to the Energy Saving Trust, 25% of a home’s heat is lost through its roof
- Government figures show that 7.4 million UK home still have inadequate loft insulation
- Loft and roof insulation can last up to 40 years, a worthwhile investment for the future!
- Estimations show that you could save up to £180 / year by insulating your loft
- In addition to improve energy efficiency, loft and roof insulation is also eco-friendly and reduces carbon dioxide emissions
What to consider?
There are a range of things to consider for good loft insulation, so here’s what our loft experts recommend.
- Check your current insulation to find out whether or not you need to do further work. The recommended insulation depth is between 125 and 270mm
- If you already have some insulation, you can top it up to achieve more efficiency
- If you also plan to convert your loft into storage, we recommend raising the floor level so that you can fit enough insulation below the loft boards while protecting existing cables and pipes
- Make sure your loft hatch is also insulated and doesn’t let any draught through
Following this simple advice should help you to reduce your energy bills while keeping your family nice and cosy comes the winter.
And if you’d like the Loft Boys to take a look at your roof to help you make the right decision, get in touch today.